The Relationships Kit
The Relationships Kit allows you to may be activated from the kits page on account administration. Once active, the feature allows you to:
- Define a relationship between any two records (spouse, friend, primary contact, etc.)
- See the relationship on both records
- Use Advanced Search to find people who have a certain relationship type on their record
- Create a household that allows you to see the attributes of two or more individual records together
- Find potential households and duplicates with Suggested Merges
Defining the Relationship
Relationships can be created between any two records in your database—both individuals and companies.
- Make sure both sides of the relationship have a record. If you just have one half of the relationship, go to the People menu and select New Contact add the other individual or company.
- Open one record click the Work With button and click Edit Info.
- Click Relationships in the side bar.
- Select a relationship type (see list below)
- Start typing the name of the other individual or company. Select that record and Save.
The relationship will now appear on both patron records. Relationships appear on the left-hand side of any record.
If a relationship is really significant, you can click the star next to it. Starred relationships stay at the top of the list.
When you create a relationship on one record, a reciprocal relationship is created on the associated record. These are the various types of relationships you can log:
|Relationship Type||Reciprocal Relationship|
|affiliated with||affiliated with|
|alumnus/alumna of||has alumnus/alumna|
|assistant to||assisted by|
|assisted by||assistant to|
|child of||parent of|
|colleague of||colleague of|
|did employ||was employed by|
|donated to||received donation from|
|friend of||friend of|
|has alumnus/alumna||alumnus/alumna of|
|has board member||on the board of|
|on board of||has board member|
|parent of||child of|
|primarily contacted by||primary contact for|
|primary contact for||primarily contacted by|
|prospect of||solicitor of|
|received donation from||donated to|
|relative of||relative of|
|represented by||representative of|
|representative of||represented by|
|sibling of||sibling of|
|solicitor of||prospect of|
|spouse of||spouse of|
|was employed by||did employ|
The relationship types list is fixed to allow for optimal performance. If the relationship type you need isn't on the list, you might try "affiliated with." However, if customizing relationship types is a priority for your organization, please vote for this functionality in our Feature Request Forum.
- When you define a "spouse" relationship between two individuals, Artful.ly will suggest they be joined in a household. Read more about that in our article on households.
- When you define an "employed by/employs" relationship between an individual and a company, and the individual does not have a company listed on their record, then Artful.ly will automatically fill in the company name on their record.
- You can view all the relationships an individual or company has right on their record. This is useful for seeing the details of who one person knows and how they knows them. For example, if you have a board member with a number of prospective donors assigned to them, you can go directly to her record and see who she is assigned to solicit.
- Please note that relationships cannot be deleted at this time.