Thank you for your interest in writing a recommendation for a space listed on SpaceFinder. SpaceFinder has repurposed our reviews feature so disabled artists can recommend spaces that are best practice examples of accessibility and inclusiveness. Any SpaceFinder user looking for space will be able to see recommendations.
Recommendations are also how spaces get added to the Disability and Dance Workspace Directory being piloted in New York City.
Where do you enjoy making work or performing? Help make SpaceFinder as useful as possible to other artists by writing a recommendation for it!
Recommendations on SpaceFinder:
- Give details from a personal perspective that help identify positive factors for working with the space.
- Help others to understand how the space helped meet your needs.
- Provide peer disabled artists with accessibility information that might not otherwise be on the venue's listing or website.
- Include details regarding which communities will be best served by working in the space.
How to Write a Recommendation
To write a recommendation, you must either log into your SpaceFinder account, or create a free membership.
- Visit the venue's listing.
On the righthand side of the page, under Options, select Read/Submit Reviews.
- Then, select Write a Review.
- Next, log in if you have an existing SpaceFinder account, or create a free account to write your recommendation.
- Once you've written your review, be sure to check the recommendation box if you think you'd recommend the space to other disabled artists.
Tips For Writing A Helpful Recommendation
For others to get the most out of your recommendation, be as thorough as possible about your experience with the venue.
Some general questions to consider:
- What made working in the space a positive experience? Be specific.
- Can everyone access the venue easily?
- Is staff knowledgeable about accessibility features?
- Is the space welcoming to all disability communities? (Consider physical access and overall inclusiveness.)
- Which communities do you feel would be best served in the space?
Before reviewing a space, keep in mind that the most effective recommendations will provide helpful information for patrons from all disability communities. To get an idea of various features to consider, take a look at the attached checklist -- or even better, print it out and take it with you! That being said, a simple 'thumbs up' recommendation, is better than nothing!
Of course, a recommendation with lots of detail is best, but even a simple recommendation helps make SpaceFinder a more useful tool for other artists.
Need some examples? Check out this excerpt from a recommendation:
"Though the theater is not wheelchair accessible, being downstairs, once inside the space is very negotiable and manageable for blind and low-vision patrons. In particular, access to the stage from the tiny green room is level, which provides great comfort! The same can be said about the level stage—the spectators being raised above in tiered seating. For a small theater, they have a great sound system and very nice lighting. Another benefit to producing here is the proximity of the stage to the sound/lighting booth making communication easy."
Click on these links for more full reviews:
Thanks again for your interest in recommending a space! If you have questions or need assistance, email us at: email@example.com.