Note that we will be discontinuing our Artful.ly ticketing and CRM service effective July 31, 2020. Here's more info about this decision and what it entails.
The Box Office is a private sales channel you and your staff can use to sell tickets at the door or over the phone. It also provides easy access to your Door List to check in patrons as they arrive. There are no ticket fees applied to Box Office sales. You only pay the credit card processing fee if you sell tickets via card.
To Reach the Box Office:
- Select the Event and Show you are selling tickets for. If you are selling tickets to the next upcoming show, you will see the box office button available on your Event Dashboard under Next Showing.
- Select the Box Office button from the shaded grey area underneath the show date and time.
To Sell Tickets:
Select a Ticket Type and choose how many tickets to sell in the order. If you have activated a donation kit or created discount codes, you will see options to add a Donation or apply a Discount Code to the order.
Select the Payment Type: Cash, Credit, Check, or Comp. Various fields for payment details and Buyer Info fields will be displayed depending on the payment type you select.
- Cash payments do not require any patron information, but recording a name or email is always encouraged.
- Credit Card payments require a patron's name and either an email address or phone number.
- Check payments allow you to record the check number.
- Comp payments are great for logging complementary tickets given to press, staff, friends, and family. We suggest recording a reason for the comp in the Order Notes field. Comp tickets will not send an email notification to the patron unless you select the checkbox to send the fan a confirmation email.
Complete the required payment details and Buyer Info fields. When you start to type in the patron's name or email, Artful.ly will suggest existing people in your records. If you select one of these suggested matches, the rest of the fields will autofill for you. This will also help prevent duplicate records.
Choose whether to check in the patron or not. Checking in a patron marks him/her as attended on Door List and adds a Went Action to the patron's People Record.
- Click the Checkout button.
An email order confirmation will be sent for sales conducted through the Box Office if the patron's email is entered or in your records. For comp sales, you need to check the box that's labeled "Send individual confirmation of this comp." In general, it's a good idea to send an email confirmation for comp orders. If you have a case where sending a confirmation email would be confusing you can leave the box unchecked.
Credit Card Readers
If you want to make your door sales go even faster, get a USB credit card reader. These generic devices are available from places like Amazon.com for $20-$50. We've tested the Magtek SureSwipe Card Reader 21040145 and can vouch for that model.
Plug the USB card reader into your desktop or laptop USB port, then select the Credit Card payment type in the Box Office interface, and swipe a credit card. The card number and expiration date will get pulled into the appropriate fields. This improves speed and accuracy.
I sold a ticket to someone—now what?
Once a ticket has been sold, you'll also need to check someone in. For more information on checking in people, see our article on the door list.