Note that we will be discontinuing our Artful.ly ticketing and CRM service effective July 31, 2020. Here's more info about this decision and what it entails.
How do I import patron information?
If you have contacts from another system, a list of people who came to your shows, or just your address book, it's possible to bring that into your Artful.ly CRM through a people import.
- Go to Reports
- Select Imports/Exports
- Click Import People
- Under the heading "Template" download an empty CSV with appropriate headers for your specific data (see below). Important: Your files must be in CSV (comma separated-values) format in order to upload. Learn how to save an Excel file as a CSV here.
- Copy/paste the data from your old spreadsheet into the appropriate columns.
Individuals vs Companies
Importing an individual's contact requires at least one of the following:
- First Name or
- Last Name or
- Email Address & Email Type (Email type is optional, but the two columns are related)
Importing the contact information for a company requires
- Company Name
There are 5 company types that may be imported.
All of the other columns are optional.
- When your CSV is ready, select Choose File under the header "Upload." You can also drag and drop the file onto the Choose File button.
- Once it has been processed (and there are no errors) you must click Approve next to the import. Depending on the size of the file, it may take a few minutes.<
If any of the email addresses in your import match any of the email addresses on contacts already in your database, then the imported information will be added to the existing record. In other words, we will merge the records for you. If any of the information in the pre-existing record conflicts with the information in the import, the existing data in your CRM will win out over the imported data.
Email Addresses and Email Types
Contacts may have up to three email addresses imported. Each email column also has a corresponding column for email type. Those types are:
Email types are not required information; if an email is imported without an import type, it will be listed as unknown.
Up to three phone numbers may be imported. The phone number columns also have corresponding types:
Phone numbers imported without a type will be listed as Other.
Physical addresses have types, too.
True or False Columms
There are a few optional columns that are useful when you need them, but will likely not apply to most contacts you're importing. Most of the time, you'll probably leave them blank:
- Do not email
- Do not mail
If a person has requested they not call you, or you're importing the contact info of someone who is deceased, then you should mark the appropriate column as "True" to check the box in Artful.ly when the information gets imported. Conversely, though, it is not necessary to put False for people for whom you don't want the boxes checked. Just leave them blank.
- Make sure your column headers exactly match those in the blank CSV. For example, if your CSV has a column called just "Company" instead of "Company Name" then your file will not import properly.
- Observe usable values and date formatting. Make sure you use the right terms ("Work", ""Home", "Cell", or "Fax" for phone numbers types for instance) when filling out your spreadsheet.
- Tidy up your data in the CSV before you import it. It's much easier to fix typos and formatting in a spreadsheet rather than doing it record-by-record in the app.
- Artful.ly matches records based on email addresses. Therefore, if you already have patron with the email email@example.com in your account and import donation attributed to firstname.lastname@example.org, that donation will be added to the existing record. If there is no email@example.com in your account, then a new record will be created for this person.
- Up to three addresses for one person can be added during an import. On the template they're labeled Address A, Address B, and Address C.
Can I delete an import?
Yes. You can recall records created by a People import, so long as:
- They weren't merged into existing records.
- Transactions or actions weren't logged on the existing records.
- Go to Reports
- Select Import/Export
- Under the Import History section, click on the name of the imported file you want to recall
- Click the Recall This Import link
Note: Recalling an import only works for People imports—not Event or Donation imports.
How do I get my data out of another system?
To get your data into Artful.ly you may need to get it out of another database. We're not experts on every database in the world, but here are some tips for exporting from some common systems: