Fundraising on Facebook has increasingly become a popular way to fundraise for a 501(c)(3) of one’s choice. This format of fundraising is only available for 501(c)(3)s and does not accommodate fiscal sponsors. The Facebook platform does not allow for donation notes or designations, nor access to donor information thus prohibiting us from processing donations for specific projects.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Donations from Facebook are administered by the company Network for Good, a third-party payment processor.
- Donations are received by check in a lump sum without donor or donation information.
- We cannot verify the donor intent and do not have access to records in order to allocate these donations to the intended project(s).
All donations received from Network For Good are sent to Fractured Atlas stating, "Anonymous" without any project information. Because Fractured Atlas is not the organization processing these gifts (Facebook), nor the platform receiving them (Network for Good), we do not have access to any donor or donation information. Due to this we cannot guarantee donations can be attributed to any specific project, and cannot accommodate fundraising through Facebook.
Network For Good processes Facebook donations on their processing schedule. This means Fractured Atlas could be receiving donations for any of thousands of projects we serve without accurate donation information.
Below see an image example of what we receive in our office when donations from Facebook are paid out.
We have tried several ways for this type of fundraising to work, but Facebook is not set up to allow for donations to fiscal sponsors through their platform.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Make sure your donors are aware they cannot hold a birthday fundraiser or donate to Fractured Atlas through Facebook expecting it to be attributed to your project.
- Set up a donate button on your Facebook that is connected to your fiscal sponsorship. You can find instructions for how to do this here:
- Contact us with questions before using any online platform that offers fundraising tools.
- If you have solicited donations through Facebook before reading this, please contact us immediately with any donation information you have at firstname.lastname@example.org