Fractured Atlas Staff Review Requirement
All grant proposals and letters of inquiry (LOIs) must be reviewed and approved by a Fractured Atlas staff member prior to submission to the funder. Only once we've signed off on your proposal will we be able to issue any materials required from Fractured Atlas by the funder. We ask for 10 business days to review all grant applications and may need to charge a rush fee for expedited review.
Make sure that you have met Fractured Atlas's grant eligibility requirement before seeking grant funding.
When you have identified an appropriate source, you should email the following documents and information to [email protected] so that we can begin the review process:
- Full contact information for the funding source, the application deadline, and a link to the funding source website (if available)
- Any and all application forms and cover letters (or the LOI)
- The completed narrative sections and projected budgets
- A list of any and all required supplemental documents (Board of Directors, Audited Financials, etc.)
- Your “ask” amount along with the funding source’s average or typical grant amount
We need to have this information on hand because, in many cases, we are the applicant of record and must be prepared to answer any questions if contacted by the funder about your proposal.
We aim to make LOIs and grant application approvals as easy as possible by providing standard text to use in your LOIs and grant applications. You may include it in your cover letter or within the narrative wherever you think appropriate, but it needs to appear somewhere in your LOI or application. Here’s the text to use for Foundations, Corporations, and Government Agencies:
[PROJECT NAME] is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Fractured Atlas will receive grants for the charitable purposes of [PROJECT NAME], provide oversight to ensure that grant funds are used in accordance with grant agreements, and provide reports as required by the grantor. Contributions for the charitable purposes of [PROJECT NAME] must be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.”
Once we have reviewed everything and you have made any necessary changes, we will send the documents required from Fractured Atlas in order to complete the application as PDF attachments. These materials could include any or all of the following:
- Endorsement letter – this certifies that you are fiscally sponsored by Fractured Atlas and provides our contact information in case the funder needs to get in touch with our staff for any reason.
- IRS determination letter – this is what confirms that Fractured Atlas is a nonprofit organization and is typically required for grant applications.
- Audited financial statement
- Form 990 - the tax document that nonprofits file with the IRS
- Info about our board of directors
- Organization budget